Monday, September 7, 2009

Remembering September 11th

american flag
This coming Friday is September 11th, and I think it is extremely important for us to remember how important this day is to our country. For the first time in 50 years, there was a devastating attack on American soil on September 11, 2001. We lost 2,973 lives that day. It was a message sent by foreign terrosists with a specific message, aimed straight at our hearts. It was a message of hatred, and it is one we are still fighting today.

Families lost husbands, wives, sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, and so many more. It cannot be put into words how utterly devastating and tragic this day was. But from the ashes of this attack, we stood strong as the United States of America and sent the war to the Middle East. Some agree with the war, and others do not. Whichever side of the fence you sit on, there is still an enemy out there that hates us, hates the principles of democracy and freedom that you and I enjoy every day, and have committed their lives to wreaking havoc and destruction upon us.

I am so thankful for the men and women serving in our armed forces throughout the world, protecting our precious rights and freedoms. It is because of them that I am able to sit here today in the comfort of my own home, writing this blog post. Thank you for protecting us, and thank you for putting your life on the line to preserve the freedom of our country.

twin towers plane crash
For those that lost loved ones on September 11, my heart goes out to you, and I will say a prayer for you and yours. At the time of the attacks, I was only 20 years old. I remember I was sitting in my U.S. Government class, when an announcement came on the overhead speakers to turn on the TV and find a news channel. As we saw the smoke from the buildings, a momentary horror filled my thoughts, and I said prayers for all those in harm's way. Classes were promptly canceled, and I went home to watch the events unfold.

Now, I am a father and a husband, and I cannot even begin to imagine what it must have felt like to have a loved one tragically lost to such a monstrous act of terrorism. Many families did not even get a chance to say goodbye. No last kisses or hugs, no last embraces, and no last ' I Love You'. Though wounds can heal, you can never forget.

I now can catch a tiny glimpse of what fear these families must have felt that day. I hope I never have to be put in that situation myself. I love my wife and daughter with everything that I am, and the thought of losing them tears me apart. This is why it is so important to remember this day.

fire fighters raising american flag
To the firefighters of NYC that battled the destruction of the twin towers, and to the families of those firefighters we lost, thank you for all that you did. You are all heroes, and will forever be tenderly placed in our hearts as you selflessly put your life on the line to save as many as possible from the wreckage and ruin on that fateful day.

This Friday, say a prayer of thanks for the sacrifices of those we lost on September 11th. Pray for them and their families. Say a prayer of thanks for all those that contributed to the rescue and clean-up efforts of the attacks.

Remember what this day means. Put all political and religious agenda aside, and let us once again stand united and strong as Americans, as we remember this day.


MckLinky Blog Hop

4 comments:

Bridgette said...

Great post. Thank you for sharing this touching story.

Kelly said...

This is a geat post. Thank you for sharing.

Here's mine
http://allthingsmadebykelly.blogspot.com/2009/09/blog-hop-tuesday-remembering-911.

Moms On The Go said...

Thank you for sharing, great post

Pennie said...

I couldn't agree more! My post is at www.sammysblogmoms.blogspot.com .