Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Baby Girl and Make Believe

Last night, I fed Savi dinner and gave her a bath. Brit was still at work, so it was looking like I was going to have to put the baby down for bed before she got home. I try to keep her up if I can, so Brit can see her, but ultimately if baby girl is falling all over herself from sleepiness, bedtime is inevitable.

So, after she fell asleep drinking her bottle of milk, I put her down, and no less than 5 minutes later she was up and crying, putting up a fierce resistance to sleep. See, I have actually honed my senses to determine what kind of cry is legit, and what kind of cry is for other reasons. This was a legit cry, so I went and got her out of bed, as she seemed to have caught her second wind. The child was just everywhere!

When Brit got home, she was met by a very happy, and very awake Savi. We decided to have a bit of family playtime, figuring baby girl would get pretty tired pretty fast. We were right. But before we put her down, she did something that both Brit and I thought was absolutely precious.

Taking two of her stacking cups, she crawled over to the coffee table and stood up, placing her cups on the surface to play with. It took us a minute to figure out what she was doing with the cups, but we finally realized she was pretending to drink from them, then was imitating chewing food. She did it over and over. It was sweet and hilarious at the same time.

This is the first time she has actually imitated an event like this on her own, without any prompting from Brit or myself. Of course, me being the proud daddy thought she was just being a creative baby genius! I'm not sure when babies start playing like that on their own, but it looks like our little one has started! Man, I love being a dad!

2 comments:

Jenna said...

How precious! Parenting is the best thing!

Kari said...

Those moments are the best!