Saturday, December 12, 2009

Dah-dee?

As I was driving to work this morning, the air was unusually warm considering the weather of late. We're talking mid-40's here, but compared to what we have been having here in the South, it might as well have been 80 degrees. I was sleepy, driving along that lonely stretch of road, drinking my morning Dr. Pepper to juice up on some caffeine, and began to think of the previous day's activities with Baby Girl.

Nothing out of the ordinary...she played with her toys, marveled at the Christmas Tree, pointed her finger just far enough to touch the ornaments, then quickly looked back at me to see if she was going to get a "no-no". She tossed her eggs off her plate during breakfast, and devoured her lunch, snack, and dinner. Nap times happened in the morning and early afternoon, both lasting nearly 2 hours. It was a good day.

When I drive to work in the mornings, I know I am leaving part of my heart at home, right with my Baby Girl. It tugs at me to come back. I want to come back. BUt I must work, we must make money, and in all honesty, it's a good break and change of pace from my daily schedule. I love my daughter, but I know these days at work are beneficial for both me and her.

When I got to work, I had my backpack slung over my shoulder with Dr. Pepper still in hand. Just an fyi, I am NOT a coffee drinker. Hot drinks aren't my thing. Bring on the soft drinks if I need a caffeine boost. Scrubs in hand, I rode up the elevator to the NICU and got to work.

About an hour in, my wife called me to say good morning, and told me that Baby Girl had come into our bedroom when she woke up saying "Dah-dee, Dah-dee". Aww, my precious baby girl was looking for her Daddy. Even though I wan't there, that moment warmed my heart. It simply made my day!

Who knew being a stay at home dad (semi-stay at home), would let me experience all these wonderful things, no matter how big or small they may seem. I am so lucky to be in the position I am, and I don't take it for granted at all.

No comments: